Unfortunately WhatsApp is not designed to run on PC unlike Ebuddy XMS. It means that we could not simply download & install WhatsApp for PC as such software does not exist. However there is a workaround on it, that is by running a smartphone emulator on PC. We will use an Android emulator, named BlueStacks, which will run WhatsApp on top of it.
Other similar articles in the internet usually only guide us to install BlueStacks and WhatsApp, but beyond it we still have more questions. How do we import contacts to WhatsApp PC? Will it cause problem to our WhatsApp on phone? This article improves the existing articles by answering frequently asked questions about WhatsApp PC.
1. Backup phone with valid phone number.
If your main phone already has an active WhatsApp, you should not use the main phone number for WhatsApp PC, or else it will cause your phone's WhatsApp to not able to receive any messages. Instead, use your backup phone number which has no WhatsApp. For example, assumes phone number 8888 is attached to your main phone which has WhatsApp, and phone number 9999 is attached to your backup phone which has no WhatsApp. Thus the 9999 is the perfect candidate for WhatsApp PC as it does not collide with any existing WhatsApp.
2. PC with internet connection.
To run WhatsApp on PC.
Step by step tutorial
1. Open BlueStacks website, click "Download Now" button and save the file to your PC. This would take few seconds depending on your internet connection speed.
Install WhatsApp4. After installation finishes, WhatsApp window should open. Click the "App Search" button.
Configuring WhatsApp for the first timeNow we are going to link your WhatsApp to your phone number. Remember that you should use your own, valid, and backup (not main) phone number as WhatsApp needs to send an SMS for verification.
9. Select "Agree and continue".
14. Upon successful verification, fill in your name and select "Next". Now you are ready to use WhatsApp. But one important thing is still missing... your contact list. You may either add contact manually one by one, or import your existing contact so that you don't need to key in hundreds of contacts manually.
Import contacts to BlueStacksContacts file is commonly stored as VCard standard format (.vcf). Below I'm going to show you how to export Google Contacts to a VCF file. If your contacts info is stored at Microsoft Outlook, IPhone, Blackberry, Nokia, etc. then you may use each respective phone book manager software to export your contacts to VCF.
15. Open Google Contacts website and login.
Make WhatsApp more keyboard friendly on PC27. Select "Menu" button, "Settings".
WhatsApp PC in actionFinally, enjoy WhatsApp chatting with PC keyboard!
Chat FlowWe don't use WhatsApp PC everyday and everytime, instead we use it only when we are in front of our PC. Therefore it is important to inform others to initiate chat to your main WhatsApp on your phone as usual, as your phone usually is always on. Upon receiving the first message, it is your choice whether to reply from your phone or your PC. In short:
- First message arrive at WhatsApp on phone --> Reply from WhatsApp PC
- First message arrive at WhatsApp on phone --> Reply directly from phone
- First message arrive at WhatsApp PC --> Not in front of PC, could not reply
- First message arrive at WhatsApp PC --> In front of PC, could reply